EDI Acoustics is now part of
Backed by 40+ years of experience, EDI has fully trained acoustical specialists that have served a host of clients. Projects include:
McClure Engineering, founded in 1953, is a design firm specializing in engineering for building and campus systems (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, temperature control, lighting, security, and audio/visual); acoustical consulting; and building systems commissioning.
Performance spaces require considerable amounts of acoustical absorption
placed on the surfaces throughout to enhance the listening experience and
improve speech intelligibility. We specialize in acoustically modeling rooms
and determining what materials and what amounts need to be applied to a space.
EDI can test the reverberation time (RT) of your room and use that information
to make recommendations to fine tune your product. EDI can also evaluate and
make recommendations for the design of wall and floor/ceiling partitions and
assemblies to ensure privacy. Privacy between adjacent spaces hinges on the
quality and design of the wall and floor/ceiling partitions.
A/V System Design
EDI is capable of designing full-scale, professional-level, Audio Visual
Systems. We will provide Design Documents, Bid Documents, and coordinate any
issues that may come forth during installation. We can create full design
drawings and specifications for bidding purposes for spaces where the goal
is to provide a good listening and/or performance environment. Consulting
for the following:
- E.A.S.E. Modeling for optimum speaker location
- Electronic Media (A/V) Systems
- Control System
- Lighting System
- Stage/Orchestra Pit/Control Booth
- Acoustics and HVAC Noise Control
- Stage Rigging and Curtains
- Miscellaneous Theatre/House Items
- Proscenium design (included in above)
- Orchestra pit design
- Wing equipment layout (part of rigging)
- Stage flooring
- Sight lines
- Green room and dressing rooms
- Scene shop
- Prop storage
- Traffic flow
- Review of applicable theatre codes
Mechanical Systems Isolation
Analyses and recommendations that target building system noise sources.
- Roof Top Equipment
- Air Handling Units
- Emergency Generators
- Ductwork Design Criteria
- Sensitive Equipment Isolation Designs
- Designs for Mechanical Equipment Rooms
- Equipment Isolation for Vibration
We provide analysis and recommendations to help reduce employee and property line impact for industrial noise sources in the following areas:
- Hearing Conservation Programs
- Noise Monitoring surveys to identify specific noise sources
- Vibration Isolation
- Property line sound impact investigations
- Sound surveys of existing space for future addition of new equipment to meet established dBA criteria.
Onsite Field Testing
EDI can provide engineering services when interior spaces are impacted by
exterior noises generated by industry, highways, airplanes, trains, and other
man made sounds.
- Airplane, train and highway noise monitoring
- Noise barrier recommendations
- Emergency generator wall enclosure
- Environmental noise impact studies
- Industrial noise impact and reduction
- Site suitability assessments
- Vibration impact assessments for both structural and ground borne
Additionally, we can perform tests to determine the interior metrics of a
building such as Field Sound Transmission Class or Field Impact Isolation
Class of a wall partition or floor/ceiling assembly.
Performance Spaces & Auditoria
- Ste. Genevieve High School Performance Theatre
- Belleville Township High Schools - East and West
- Calvary Church
- Central Reform Congregation
- Christian Brothers College (CBC) High School
- Collinsville Unit School District #10
- First Christian Church of Florissant
- Fontbonne College, Theatre
- Indiana University, Wilkie Building C, Bloomington, Indiana
- Maryville University
- Saint Marks, St. Louis Archdiocese
- SeaWorld, Florida and California
- United States Corps of Engineers, Riverlands Center, Alton, IL
- Wentzville High School
- Westwood Baptist Church, Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Industrial Acoustics & Noise Control Clients
- Allegiance V. Mueller
- American Air Filter
- American Can Company
- Boeing Military Aircraft Co.
- Brasch Manufacturing Company
- Bussmann Manufacturing Co.
- Cerro Copper
- Cupples Products
- Dover Corporation, Norris Division
- Emerson Electric Company
- Engineered Air Systems
- Fischer Equipment Company
- Fred Weber
- Garden City Fan Company
- Gardner-Denver Company
- General Electric Company
- General Motors Assembly Division
- Hussmann Refrigeration Co.
- Industrial Engineering and
- Equipment Co.
- Laclede Steel Company
- Lever Brothers
- Lone Star Industries
- Mallinckrodt, Inc.
- Marlo Coil Company
- McDonnell Douglas Corp.
- Metal Recovery Systems
- Missouri Portland Cement
- Mobay Chemical Company
- Monsanto Corp.
- Olin Corporation
- Levi Strauss & Co.
- Terminal Railroad Association
- Trammel Crow Real Estate
- Trane Company
- Wagner Castings Company
- White Rogers
- Zero Manufacturing Company
Architectural, Engineering, and Contractor Clients
- ACI Boland
- The Benham Group
- Baur Properties
- Christner Inc.
- Stauder Architecture
- The Wischmeyer Architects
- THF Realty
- TRi Architects Inc.
- Trivers Associates Architects
- Tsoi Kobus & Associates
- Daniel Construction Company
- Engineering Design & Management
- Gale A. Hill & Associates
- Hastings & Chivetta Architects
- Heideman & Associates
- Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
- Horner & Shifrin
- Jacobs Facilities
- Kennedy Associates Architects
- Kromm Rikimaru & Johansen
- Littlefield Associates
- Mackey Mitchell Architects
- Mitchell + Hugeback
- Oculus Inc.
- Peckham, Guyton, Albers, & Viets
- Powers & Bowersox
- Robert L. Boland Architects
- Ross & Baruzzini
- Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill
- Sorkin Ginsberg & Associates
- Southwestern Redevelopment Corp.
- William Tao & Associates
- Woolpert LLP
- Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Partnership
EDI has consulted with numerous federal, state, and local government agencies
on a wide variety of projects. Jobs vary from federal installation projects
with concerns over sensitive material protection to small community issues
over noise code compliance. Below is a listing of governmental agency clients:
- Berkeley, Missouri
- Bridgeton, Missouri
- City of Valley Park, Missouri
- Crestwood, Missouri
- Des Peres, Missouri
- Edwardsville Police Department
- Public Defenders Office
- Florida Department of Transportation
- General Services Administration
- Great Lakes Naval Training Center
- Highland, Illinois
- Kansas City International Airport
- Kirkwood, Missouri
- Lambert St. Louis International Airport
- Ladue, Missouri
- Missouri Highway Department
- St. Charles, Missouri
- St. Louis, Missouri
- St. Louis County, Missouri
- Scott Air Force Base
- Town & Country, Missouri
- U.S. Army Construction Engineering Research Lab
- U.S. Customs Service
- U.S. Department Of Labor
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- United States Postal Service
- Whiteman Air Force Base
Environmental Noise and Vibration Clients
- Peabody Coal- Mining noise and vibration monitoring from blasting activities
- Mr. Landolt, private citizen- Gun club noise violation measurements and testimony
- Citizens of Pendleton- Gun club noise intrusion measurements and testimony
- Kennedy Associates Inc.- Sound study for Missouri
Highway Transportation Department, Interstates 55 and 270 noise wall project evaluation.
- Michael Roth & Associates- Lambert St. Louis
International Airport home insulation project.
- Airport Management Services- Airport noise monitoring in residential areas.
- Mr. Meyer, private citizen- Noise impact on rural residences by motocross track.
Gary has over 25 years of acoustical and vibration consulting experience with EDI. He has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Construction from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from the Joint Engineering Program at Washington University/University of Missouri-St. Louis. He has taken several graduate courses in acoustics and vibration including Vibration Analysis, Structural Dynamics and Finite Element Analysis. He has been involved in every phase of the construction project from paper to build-out and has solved many acoustical and vibration problems throughout his career. Gary's motto is "Making the World Sound Better One Project at a Time."